Tuesday 8 December 2009

Tom and Jerry

I've been watching quite a lot of these CLASSICS lately. Tom and Jerry!



My oh my, you don't see much of these classical 2D stuff much anymore. It's all pushing towards realism nowadays... So why do 2D animations seem to ooze with life and appeal way more than 3D animations? I believe it's because of the flexibility in the drawings that the classical animators have learned to exaggerate and break the principles. It's simply amazing watching Tom and Jerry, the amount of squash and stretch is used just on about everything! Whenever the characters contact with another object, the animators would squeeze as much life as they could into the interacted object. I've not seen a hat or a doll stretch as much as that in 3D before!

Oh and the timing on these cartoons are spot on too, I love how they over-exaggerate everything and delay their response times. It never seems to get old. Exaggeration is used to the extreme in Tom and Jerry. The result is that the staging and clarity is CRYSTAL CLEAR. There is much to learn from these classics :).

1 comment: